We also recognize that reducing false news is a sensitive and challenging issue. We want to help people stay informed without stifling productive public discourse. For these reasons, we don't remove false news from Hahalolo but instead, significantly reduce its distribution by showing it lower in the News Feed.
We are working to build a more informed community and reduce the spread of false news in a number of different ways, namely by:
- Disrupting economic incentives for people, Pages, and domains that spread misinformation;
- Using various signals, including feedback from our community to inform a machine learning model that predicts which news may be false;
- Reducing the distribution of the contents rated as false by independent third-party data verification organizations;
- Empowering people to decide for themselves which contents should read, trust, and share by providing them with more contexts and improving their information expertise and revaluation skills;
- Collaborating with research institutes and other organizations to solve this challenging issue.