We do not allow hate speech on Hahalolo because it creates an environment of intimidation and exclusion and in some cases may promote real-world violence.
This policy protects specific groups of people and members of these groups based on protected characteristics: race, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, religion, age, social status, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, victims of a major violent event and their kin, disability or serious disease.
We define attack as violent or dehumanizing speech, statements of inferiority, or calls for exclusion or segregation. We separate attacks into three tiers of severity, as described below
Sometimes people share content containing someone else’s hate speech for the purpose of raising awareness or educating others. Similarly, in some cases, words or terms that might otherwise violate our standards are used self-referentially or in an empowering way. In all of these cases, we allow the content but expect people to clearly indicate their intent, which helps us better understand why they shared it. When the intention is unclear, we may remove the content.
We allow humorous and social commentary related to these topics. In addition, we believe that people are more responsible when they share this kind of commentary using their authentic identity.
Do not post:
Offensive content directed at a person or group of people who have one of the aforementioned characteristics or immigration status (including all the features mentioned, except for those described as violence crimes or sexual offenses), in which offense is defined as:
- Violent speech or support/encouragement (in written or visual form);
- Character defamation, insult to the dignity of individuals or groups of people (in written or visual form), such as associations or comparisons with:
- Animals that are culturally perceived as intellectually or physically inferior;
- Filth, bacteria, disease and feces;
- Sexual predator;
- Violent and sexual criminals;
- Other criminals (including but not limited to “thief,” “robbery”…).
- Mocking the concept, events or victims of hate crimes even if no real person is depicted in an image;
- Alleging the superiority of a group over those with any of the attributes noted above to justify violence, discrimination, segregation, or exclusion.
- Claiming that individuals or groups are physically or mentally inferior, deficient, or diseased based on any of the attributes noted above. This includes statements that one group is less than another, calling them less intelligent, less capable, or damaged.
Offensive content targeting a person or group of people who have one of the aforementioned characteristics, in which offense is defined as:
- Statements or images that clearly insult the physical, mental, or moral deficiencies of a person or group of people;
- Physical deficiencies (including but not limited to "malformed", “undeveloped”, "disgusting”, “dirty”, “smelly”, etc.);
- Mental deficiencies(including but not limited to "retarded", "dull", ”uneducated”, ”idiot", "stupid”, “brainless", “insane”, etc.);
- Moral deficiencies(including but not limited to "sluttish", "dummy", "cheap", "slut”, etc.).
- Expressions of contempt, cursing, or images with equivalent meanings, (including but not limited to: “hideous”, “vile”, ”disgusting”, “throwing up”, “bitch”....)
- Expressions of dismissal, including but not limited to “don't respect”, “don't like”, “don't care for”.
Content targeting a person or group of people on the basis of their protected characteristic(s) with any of the following:
- Segregation/exclusion in the form of calls for action, statements of intent, aspirational or conditional statements, or statements advocating or supporting segregation/exclusion;
- Explicit exclusion, which means things such as expelling certain groups or denying access to political participation, economic entitlements, spaces (physical and online) and social services;
- Call for the subjugation or domination over individuals or groups based on any of the attributes noted above.
Content that describes or negatively targets people with slurs, where slurs are defined as words that are inherently offensive and used as insulting labels for the above-listed characteristics.